Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Where are all the Genealogists?

Today , I am feeling a little like this monkey....out on a limb... all by myself.  I have been searching for a group of genealogists that meet on a regular basis and discuss brickwalls and research.  I want more of a personal connection than networking through the computer all of the time.    

I have researched genealogy societies in my local area and the societies in the areas of my ancestors which are within a reasonable driving distance.  But here in central Illinois, it appears that the counties where my ancestors lived do not maintain their websites.  Leaving people who are trying to find information out about their society to question whether or not they still exist.  Several attempts to connect with these societies via email or snail mail have left me...hanging out on a limb!                                                                                           

While I follow many genealogy facebook pages & blogs, I have not stepped into the realm of genealogy chat rooms. Is that where I am headed?  Will my genealogy society be the online society of genealogists in chat rooms on various subject?

Yes.. Yes the internet opens our genealogy up to wide world. We now have access to millions and millions of other genealogy researchers across the world. Some of these people will be related to me.  The internet may be the only way I will ever connect with these relatives.
Perhaps I am being a bit old school here...but there must be a way for me to get the best of both worlds.  So....where are all the genealogists in my area?  Where are the people with knowledge of the rurals areas where my ancestors lived? 
Guess this is another thing I will be "In Search of".

No comments:

Post a Comment