Monday, June 25, 2012

Syncing Ancestry Online Trees, Ancestry App & Family Tree Maker for Mac

I love the new synching feature of Ancestry Online Trees, the Ancestry App on iPad and Family Tree Maker for Mac. I never have to worry which one I used last or what was the last piece of information added. No matter what device I decide to work on my family tree whether it be my computer, phone, or iPad, my tree has all the same information. Giving me that ability to take my genealogy with me anywhere and to be able to work on it anytime.... as long as there is a cell signal.
I have set up one family tree file that is synced over the various electronic devices. While I have posted my direct family line in my online tree, the tree which I have been working on for over 20 years with over 2,000 individuals I have kept separate. I use the online tree for clues and find the documentation I need to support the data's inclusion in my "offline" file.
Why do I not put my historic file up online? When I first started the file, I did not have strong documentation skills. Some of the information in my file was gathered from other family genealogists who did not provide documented support for their entries into the trees. I am not saying that they didn't have it. Only that it was not shared with me. I have tried to ensure that the family tree information I put online is supported by proper documentation.
Perhaps some would think that I am potentially holding back valuable genealogical information. But I know that I ensuring that only the most accurate data is being posted online by myself. There are many family trees out in cyberspace. We all know that every family tree online is the documented truth...right? Unfortunately, with all the information available online these days, it is often difficult to check the documentation that supports the facts. I could go off on a tangent here but I digress.
I really don't have much more to say about the synching feature.... other than love it, love it,uhhhhh love it! Thank you Ancestry for this great feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment