Friday, June 29, 2012

Where's Aunt Bernice in 1940?

My Aunt Bernice was 17 years old when the 1940 census was taken. However, the 1940 census taken in April 1940, does not list Bernice in the household of her mother, Bertha Johnson. Where or where can she be?
The obituary for her grandmother, Frances Mahalia (Flaharty) Thompson lists Bernice as "of Chandlerville". Normally in an obituary that would mean that was where she was residing when her grandmother died. Her uncle & aunt who were living with her grandparents in Mason County, Illinois however are also listed as living in Chandlerville. So is she in Chandlerville... Mason County... or where?
Fortunately, Chandlerville is a small township and took very little time to review each of the 3 enumeration districts which it contains. All three districts had no reference to my aunt. The town of Chandlerville is split by two townships - Chandlerville and Panther Creek. So I checked Panther Creek township as well with no luck.
I needed more information to try to narrow my possibilities. Time to talk to my father and that is what I did. My aunt was married twice. Her first marriage happened before 1943. According to my dad, she married young. I asked him if she might have already been married in 1940 and he thought she might have been. My dad at the time was only 13 years old. My father also said that his sister's first husband did not live long after the marriage. He indicated they might have lived toward the town of Oakford.
With this information in hand, I first rechecked the census records of the area outside of the town of Chandlerville but still within Chandlerville Township. I then checked the census for the area around Oakford and for Oakford Township as well. Not finding any reference to Virgil or Bernice.
I decided to do an Ancestry search on Virgil Ray estimating his year of birth to be within 5 years of my aunt and that he was born somewhere in Cass County, Illinois. Ancestry brought information back in a subscriber's family tree that Virgil died 15 April 1940 in Panther Creek, Cass County, Illinois. According to the 1940 Census for Panther Creek, the census for that area was taken between April 11 - May 7 1940.
I find Virgil Ray listed with his parents, Oscar & Rebecca, in Panther Creek, Cass, IL. He is listed as age 23 and married with what looks to be a question mark behind it. The date the census was taken for the Ray household was May 3 1940. Since the date of record for the 1940 Census is April 1, 1940, Virgil must have been living with his parents on that date. But Bernice, his wife and my aunt, is not listed in the household. An oversight possibly due to the family being in morning due to the death of her son several weeks earlier to the date the census was taken.
I returned to the household of my grandmother, Bertha, to determine when the census was taken for her household. The date is listed as April 3 -4, 1940. It would appear that it is possible that my aunt Bernice was missed in the census due to the hands of fate and the timing of the taking of the census.

No comments:

Post a Comment