Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Changing from Family Tree Maker PC to Family Tree Maker for Mac


Due to my Windows laptop having more and more errors, my husband and I decided it was time to switch to Mac.  I have not touched an Apple Computer since the early 1990s.  Over 20 years of PC use has embedded all of the shortcuts  and PC methods into my brain.  Now I have to learn the Mac techniques.

One of the reasons why we didn't go to Apple sooner was my attachment to Family Tree Maker.  I had been using it since the early 1990s as well.  But with Family Tree Maker for Mac, that has all changed.  Now comes the challenge of moving several family tree files over from the old PC.

I tried just opening the FTM PC file in the MAC version of Family Tree Maker but it was to the correct process.  My husband then tells me that there was a migration program on the installation CD.

So placed the CD in the Macbook Pro and tried to install the migration program. No Go.  The Migration program has to be installed on the PC and the files converted.  Since the plan is to get rid of the PC at some point, I realized I would have to convert all my FTM files.

I installed it and converted the files.  As the files were converting, I was a little concerned that all of my many notes might be lost.  I then opened the files in  Family Tree Maker for Mac.  I was happy to see that the program looked very similar to the PC version and nothing was lost in the transfer.  All of my notes were there.  Nothing lost.

I haven't really played around with the program to much yet. One small difference I noticed is the graphics seem much more artistic than the PC version.  I am glad to know that FTM will be one of my easier challenges of moving from PC to Mac.

Now to learn how to work the Mac itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment