Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Playing with Google Earth and My Ancestors Lands

A couple of weeks ago, I returned to hunting down the land owned by my ancestor, John Johnson.  I know that John lived in Mason County, Illinois.  There is a family story that John used Abraham Lincoln to help with the government land grant....but that's for another post.  What I wanted to know was where the land was and who was living on the land in the 1874 Mason County Illinois Plat map of which I had a copy.

I started with the Bureau of Land Management's website http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/ and clicked to search for a Federal Land Patent.  Into the BLM's search template, I entered State and County along with first and last name of my ancestor.  With a name as common as John Johnson, I wasn't sure what I was going to get.  But fortunately, the site returned with only 3 land patents entries.  Only 1 of those patents was for the correct time frame of my ancestor moving to Mason County, Illinois. 

From the BLM, I was able to get the land description.  It appears that the BLM plans to or did have a mapping feature.  But as luck would have it, it was not working.  So how was I to translate the land description of meridian - township - range - section into something Google Earth would understand?  Time to do a Google Search of that same question.

Google replied with many options but the one I followed was Township and Range - Search By Description at http://www.earthpoint.us/TownshipsSearchByDescription.aspx.  There I entered the State , Principal Meridian, Township, Range and Section and clicked "Fly to On Google Earth". 

There it was... the land that my 3rd great grandfather was issued on July 1 1848.  Now comparing to the Plat Map, it is in 1874 in the name of F L Mugge.  The name doesn't ring any bells....guess I need to find an earlier Plat Map or time for a road trip to search the land records at the county courthouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment