Thursday, November 24, 2011

My Genealogy Book Christmas List

I love books.  There is nothing better to me than genealogy related books.  So I decided to put together a list of books that I would like for Christmas.

For Fun:
Steve Luxenberg, “Annie’s Ghosts: A Journey into a Family Secret”
Why: Lisa Louise Cooke of the Genealogy Gems podcast spoke to the author on her podcast.  It seemed like a real engrossing storyline.

Anne Bradshaw, “True Miracles with Genealogy: Help from Beyond the Veil”
Why:  I loved the “Psychic Roots” series by Henry Z Jones.  This book seems to contain similar stores.  There is already a sequel!

Laverne Galeener-Moore, “Collecting Dead Relatives:  An irreverent Romp Through the Field of Genealogy”
Why:  It looks to be a funny commentary on genealogy while trying to possibly learn a few things as well.


For Education:
Judy Jacobson, “History for Genealogists: Using Chronological Time Lines to Find and Understand Your Ancestors”
Why:  I think it would be great to have a book with historical time lines at my fingertips.  I wish the publisher had authorized Amazon to allow you to preview some of the pages.

Andrea McNichol, “Handwriting Analysis: Putting It to Work for You”
Why: Lisa Louise Cooke had a handwriting analyst on her podcast.  It was really interesting the information that the analyst was able to interpret just from the signature of an ancestor.  I would like to learn more about the technique.

Marsha Hoffman Rising and Sharon DeBartolo Carmack, “The Family Tree Problem Solver: Tried and True Tactics for Tracing the Elusive Ancestors”
Why:   This book’s title really caught my eye.  I have several problems that I am stuck on…..brick walls….. hoping this book  can help me find direction to break them down!

For Specific Location:
Coleman Phillipson, “Alsace-Lorraine, past, present, and future, with four maps”
Why: This book might help me to learn more about my ancestors who lived in the area.  My Peter Family emigrated from that area in the early 1800s.

Rachel Bellerby, “Tracing Your Yorkshire Ancestors”
Why: Several branches of my family tree come from Yorkshire England.  This book would be a possible start to learning more about research in the area.

Marian Press,  Education and Ontario Family History: A Guide to the Resources for Genealogists and Historians”
Why: Two of my family lines go to Ontario Canada for a couple of generations before immigrating to the United States.  This would be a good guide to understanding the resources in the area .

Must Have Book for Christmas:
Bertram Hawthorne Groene,  “Tracing our Civil War Ancestor”
Why:  With this time frame being the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, it seems appropriate to researching ancestors who served during the war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment