Thursday, November 24, 2011

My Genealogical Christmas List

Santa, 
What do I want for Christmas?  Let me think...... I would like the answers to all the following brick walls. ....or at least a few!


1) Where did Maude Coonrod and Gaston Foote marry?  
      - My grandparents were married Dec 1 1923 according to the family bible.  But the big question is where?  Several times I have made attempts to locate the marriage license.  My grandmother was a schoolteacher and was not allowed to be married.  They got married on the sly.  I have checked many counties in Illinois and Missouri with no luck.  I found a comment online that said they married in Beardstown, IL according to Edmund West, Comp Family Data Collection.  I have checked the county seat for Beardstown (Viriginia, Cass County, IL) but no record.  Where or where can it be??


2) Did John Johnson really use Abraham Lincoln as an attorney and for what purpose?
     - Okay maybe that's two questions but I would like answers to both.  In John's wife's obituary (Rosanna Adkins Johnson) in the Chandlerville Times, June 1898, it is stated " They located on a farm in Menard Co., known then as White Point, but known now as Fields Prairie.  They resided here until about 1842, when he entered government land, now the old home place, and in after years in proving up the claim, he went to Springfield on horse back, and employed Abe Lincoln as his attorney, and they rode from Old Salem together.  This is the only time in his life Mr Johnson every employed a lawyer."  I would love to know if this statement is true and see the proof of it!


3) Where is Robert McIntosh buried?
     - A few years ago a cousin gave me the death date and place for Robert McIntosh as Apr 1888 Mason County, Illinois.  I checked the county clerk's office did not have a death record for him.  I checked the newspapers for area and did not find an obituary.  Unfortunately, my cousin did not provide documentation to support the claim.  So is that information correct?  I also don't know where his wife died.  I know they were in Kansas in 1885.  Did they really die there?  


4) Were William Flaharty and Joshua Flaharty brothers?
    - William's obituary provides only his date of death information.  There is no information about any family ... not his children... not his wife.... and nothing about his siblings if any.  Joshua Flaharty lived in Mason County, Illinois.  In his obituary, it gives his mother and father's names and states that he moved to Illinois with his mother and family.  It gives the name of one sister who survived him Anna Minner.  I have a lot of circumstantial evidence that links the two men that I can say it is highly likely that they were brothers.  I however want the proof!


5) Where did Frank Foote (my 2nd great grandfather) come from in Dorset County, England? 
    - Pretty simple and straight forward.  His parents are Thomas Foote and Arundel Mary Roberts.  Probably just need to settle down and review the church records of Dorset England.  Maybe more research on FamilySearch.org.


6)  Were Dorothy Thornley McIntosh and James Thornley brother and sister?
    - In an biographical record entry for Dorothy's son-in-law, William Abbott, it states that she was the daughter of Thomas Thornley of England.  Two family genealogists list James as the son of Thomas Thornley but again I have no documentation to support it.


7) Where in the Alsace-Lorraine region of France did John Peter come from and was Stephen Peter and  Josephine Bordeau his parents? 
   - As I read more documents, I am not sure he was from Alsace-Lorraine.  According to the censuses and his death certificate, he was born in France.  Where Alsace-Lorraine comes from is Stephen Peter and Josephine Boreau.  But are they his parents?  There is a statement I obtain from somewhere that says only one child survived of Stephen and Josephine a child named Stephen Jr.  But my research shows four other children who survived to adulthood.  


8) Who were Oney Frane's parents?  
   - She was born 12 Dec 1829 in County Mayo, Ireland.  Her obituary gives no indication to her parents.  She came to Canada in 1847 at the age of 18.  In 1858, she married Frank Foote.  Did her parents immigrate with her or did she come alone?


9) Where did Margaret Burbank Coonrod Davis die and when?
   - Her brother, Daniel Burbank, kept a record which stated Margaret died sometime between 1855-1865.  It may have been before 1855 as in the 1850 census her son Henry was living with David Van Gundy, his uncle.


10) Was Tom and Amanda Bell the parents of Mary Jane Bell?
  - A distant cousin told me that Mary Jane's parents were Tom and Amanda Bell.  But I have no documentation to support it.  Mary Jane's obituary does not give her parents name.  But does state that she came to Illinois with her parents as an only child.  Currently I have no records on Tom or his wife.  




So dear Santa I understand if I can't have all of them answered but a few would be wonderful.  


Janna



No comments:

Post a Comment